Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Exhaustion

I posted before that I am pestered, harassed, hounded by the powers-that-be about the bar not turning a tidy profit in the first year. I don't need to proselytize about the failure rate for restaurants or small businesses in general. The fact that we have broken even in the first year is a success. Now, we are turning away people on the weekends. Business over the last couple of months has increased by something like 25%. Still, it's not making enough to bring cash into those particular powers. What money we do make gets rolled back into the coffers.

Before I talk about whatever their next step is going to be, indulge me a moment and play the world's smallest violin. There is no drinking culture in Tacoma. The Swiss, Top, and Magoo's kind of sum it up. And you know what, I'll throw places like Tempest in there as well. Get there first with the most. Drink until you're blind, don't be belligerent and they will keep serving you. It's not about what you're drinking, it's about getting it in you, getting fucked up. Here we come trying to change that. If you read this blog, then you know me and you know what we are trying to do. Slow down the process, bring people together, treat each other with respect, promote active, conscientious consumption as much as it is possible. Not to sound too much like a crazy lady, but if you do it right, then the money will take care of itself.

And now here we are. I believe I have done right. I have made compromises, but I sleep well at night (at least regarding how I run a business). I treat and pay my staff well, I preach great service and facilitating the guests experience, and I also promote continuous knowledge and professional growth.

And where here is that the powers-that-be are upset with how the business is run, specifically marketing. What they want is the bar the way it is but run and marketed like the Swiss or Jazzbones or the Westend. They want two-for-one specials, free peanuts and pretzels, and, I don't know, Bud Lite. What I do know they want is more signage. More lights outside. I think they want neon in the windows. They want it marketed like a nightclub or a pizza joint and run like a craft cocktail bar. Or maybe run like a nightclub or pizza joint, I don't know. I suspect all that they really care about is money.

That is so depressing.

No comments: